Monday, October 30, 2017

Internships

My Chinese resume!
     For the past few weeks, I have been vigorously looking for internships. I have used various outlets such as asking former professors, updating my LinkedIn, and contacting some of the companies that Flagship has connections with. This far, I have not only submitted my resume to two different companies, 麦淘 (Maitao), a company that organizes winter camps for children, and 德稻 (Detao), an environmental finance group, I have an interview with both companies in a few weeks. 
    Although one may assume that the process of applying to internships in China would be similar to applying for internships in the United States, in fact, there are quite a few huge differences. For example, Chinese resumes are very different as opposed to American resumes. For instance, it is necessary to put a picture of yourself on a Chinese resume. In addition, it is essential to indicate one’s marital status, health condition, and nationality.     
     As always, I appreciate any questions and comments! Thank you for reading!

6 comments:

  1. You mentioned you have interviews set up in a few weeks. That seems a long time. Is that due to date job starts?

    What type of jobs are open to you? I realize entry level but do you know what specifically?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I’m trying to set up interviews for internships in about a week or two because I’m in the middle of midterms right now, and wanted to consentrate on midterms at the moment.
      When it comes to finding an internship, I am open to almost anything. From what I understand, in the past, many students in my position have done a lot of translation, and I am hoping to find something other than this. So far, my one super clear opportunity is working with kids.

      Delete
  2. When would you start this job? How long would it last? Do you have to find different housing?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I would start this job (hopefully) some time in February. Currently, I live in Nanjing, but all of the internships I’m looking at are in Shanghai, so I will have to move.

      Delete
  3. I am proud of you! I cannot imagine doing what you are doing! Takes a lot of guts and fortitude! You got this! :)

    ReplyDelete