Monday, October 23, 2017

Cultural Differences

     Thus far in my experience in China, I have encountered numerous cultural differences, some quite small, and others that are pretty shocking. However, as I am describing my experiences in China, it is necessary to keep in mind that China is a very large place with the largest population in the world. Therefore, what I experience in Nanjing is definitely does not always serve as the norm.       With that being said, one of the most biggest cultural differences I have experienced is the idea of eating “too all over the place”. This means that, if you eat sweet and salty, hot and cold, or some other combination of seemingly opposing flavors/temperatures, you will get sick. I ran into this cultural difference while in Suzhou after I came down with the worst bout of food poisoning I have ever had. My friend's aunt started to interrogate me, asking what I could have eaten to make myself sick. After admitting to having a cold coffee after a hot lunch, she smiled ever so slyly, and warned me to never eat hot and cold foods one after the other, or I would be sure to get sick again.
In many places in China as well as other parts of Asia, 
it is essential to take your shoes off at the front door 
and wear slippers in the house so the floor doesn't
get too gross

     In many places in China as well as other parts of Asia, it is essential to take your shoes off at the front door and wear slippers in the house so the floor doesn't get too gross.
      Another cultural difference that has to do with being sick is, if you manage to get out of bed, it is essential to wear slippers, otherwise your sickness will supposedly get worse. While sick with some kind of cold in Nanjing, my roommate was so worried I wasn't wearing my slippers in the house. Because she became so adamant that I wore some kind of something on my feet, I gave into her pleas (except for when she was out of the house).
      These are only just a few of the biggest cultural differences I have ran into Nanjing, there are still many more that I have not mentioned, or maybe not even noticed yet. Next time I post, I will be discussing food; what kinds of food are common in Nanjing, and how take out works in China! As always, comments and questions are very welcome.

No comments:

Post a Comment